Gretchen is getting on my nerves. OK, so she received a 6+karat diamond “engagement” ring from Jeff Betizel, but what bugged me is that in between worrying about him in the hospital, she exclaimed,”I love my ring!” (Gag). I wonder what happened to that ring? Bravo has yet to officially report Jeff’s untimely death on September 13, 2008 at the age of 54. Instead, next week’s previews show Tamara feeding tequila shots to Gretchen and Gretchen flirting with Tamara’s son. Gretchen appears to be the smartest at media manipulation: she garners sympathy from the viewers while making anyone who questions her motives look bad.
However, If you really want to know the Real Housewives of Orange County, search the blogs. It turns out, people who know them (or know of them) off camera weigh in regularly on blogs like absurdtosublime.blogspot.com Will tabloid journalism be necessary when anyone can find out the scoop from “sources close to” the stars? Case in point: Here is a blog post and some selected comments regarding Gretchen Rossi and her relationship with Jeff Beitzel.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
From Pop Tower:
Gretchen Rossi is one of the housewives featured on Bravo’s series, “The Real Housewives of Orange County.”
This season’s newest housewife is a 30-year-old blonde bombshell with a sparkling personality, dazzling smile and—something very few Orange County women have—real breasts.
Gretchen’s outward beauty is obvious, but is her beauty only skin deep? She was engaged to Jeff, a wealthy businessman who made his fortune in the automotive industry – and who just happens to be 23 years older than her. Jeff’s been married and divorced five times, has four adult children and is very rich. Jeff also has acute Leukemia.
Gretchen openly admits that she’s not physically attracted to Jeff – he’s not her type. But she also says that he is her “prince charming” and the kindest man she has ever met.
She did not expect that she would become Jeff’s primary care giver during his cancer treatments. Is she a saint, after money….or both? She is a party girl who likes to go to nightclubs, drink and dance. But there is more to her than meets the eye as she switches gears to becoming Jeff’s nurse, learning how to give Jeff injections and managing his demanding daily care.
Gretchen grew up in La Crescenta, California, and attended Baylor University in Dallas, Texas, where she studied psychiatry. She meets the housewives through fellow realtor, Jeana Keough.
Postscript: Jeffrey Paul Beitzel died September 13, 2008. Age 54. How much of this will be included on the show, scheduled to premiere November 25, is not yet known.
- I happen to be Jeff’s sister and although I knew the kind of relationship they had — he seeking the “Malibu Barbie” armpiece & her seeking $$$$$ and someone to take care of her, her flaunting & lack of concern for him shown in this article only confirms her insincerety. I’m just glad he wasn’t able to see how superficial this relationship was. At Christmas when he first found out about his illness & limited chance of survival, he had no intentions of marrying her or anyone else. She was his West Coast armpiece whom he managed to keep seperate from his interest in the east. I’m glad she was with him when he died only because he wouldn’t allow anyone else to see him in such grave condition. At least he wasn’t alone at the end, although I know he spent many lonely hours in his hospital room. In the 3 or 4 years he dated her, his mother & I were never introduced to her. Unforunately he was never smart enough to appreciate a good wife when he had one.
- Judy my condolences to you and your family. I knew Jeff and I knew in some sense all of his wives except #1. I can assure you that #2 through #5 were not gold diggers! To even consider grouping his wives with that narcissistic, shallow, self serving, self absorbed, vacant (in every sense of the word) wannabe reality actress is not only wrong but insulting on every level: Wife #2 and #5 who loved and married him when he was poor! Yes, he was poor at one time. There was no gold to dig then! Wife #3: The mother of his THREE children not Four as it is has been reported. Wife #3 also married him before his millions..again no gold. Wife #4: Although Jeff was on his way to the millions, she helped in the role of step mother and was more intrested in that role than the role of pampered princess. NOW, let’s talk about Gretchy…When Jeff was first feeling ill, he actually was in a relationship with wife #5. Wives #3 & 4 were aware of this. In fact, all of those women talk and actually get along with each other. Wife #5 was taking care of him, drove him to the hospital and was making arrangements with the hospital staff. Jeff was in the hospital for a week before Gretchy could find dog sitters for her precious pups. Upon arriving and finding out much to her amazement that Jeff was not as dumb as she thought and knew exactly why she was with him she completely FREAKED OUT! It was quite the scene with all of his ex’s and children witnessing… She promptly demanded that she be the center of attention and threatened Jeff. At the time, many people were hurt to find out that Jeff would be receiving treatment in CA when U of M was literally down the street and is very well respected hospital with a leading cancer treatment center. His kids were floored. His ex wives especially the mother of his children were shocked consdiering the treatment would be so intense and CA is so far and it would be difficult for the kids to see their father. I remember sitting around talking about WHY would Jeff do this. A few months later it became clear…The Real Housewives of Orange County. Gretchen didn’t give a shit about Jeff it came down to her ruining her wannabe acting career. Now, I will admit that I have not met Gretchen. She clearly was not someone Jeff cared to introduce to people here in Michigan, and there are many of us. I was stunned to hear at the eulogy that Gretchen had been with Jeff for four years. I think the woman he was still married to four years ago was stunned as well. So, although Jeff lived his life to the fullest and I mean that in every sense…he made some really bad choices. Ultimately, he hurt himself and people (wives, ex wives, children, sisters, friends) he would give you the shirt off his back, he was generally a good natured person. I am with Judy Fike that I am glad Jeff can’t witness the circus that Gretchen Rossi has created at the end of his illness and now in his death. She is still gold digging through his death. She doesn’t need to worrry about casting for season 5..she will get a spin off “The Real GOLD DIGGERS of Orange County” starring just her!
- I was a very, very close friend of Jeff Beitel for many years. As for the comment on his ex wive’s, I never met his first wife, that was only a one year marriage, when he was very, very young. I do however know the other three, I only know #2/5, #4 very well. I only met #3 a few times, they’re all very nice, classy, educated women and I can assure you, they DIDN’T marry Jeff for his money because he didn’t have any money when he was with these women. They were with him because they truly loved Jeff for Jeff. He may have made some money after years of being with each of these women, but this is many years after being with him when he was basically broke AND when he did make some money it wasn’t anywhere near the tune of what he made in his last few years alive. So, you, who made the comment that these women are “older gold diggers” you couldn’t be any further from the truth. These women loved and supported Jeff in every sense of the word when he had NO money. They didn’t care about money or fancy material things and when he did make some money, none of these women changed their ways, or their attitudes, they stayed charming, nice, approachable, classy women…. Unlike Gretchen. Gretchen didn’t love Jeff, she loved his money, his connections, and the lifstyle that he could afford her. I also know for fact that Gretchen didn’t spend the time she claims she did taking care of Jeff. Jeff spent way too many hours and days alone in the hospital while Gretchen was out partying it up with her friends and doing promotional things for this show (that she has no business being on). She wasn’t the loving, caring person she claimed to be towards Jeff. Everything Grtechen does is for show purpose only, why/how he every got hooked up with her still remains a mystery to many of us (his close friends and family. Not to say that Jeff was an angle, but she’s basically trailer trash compared to the other women & his ex wive’s.
- I would like to thank Tournament Drive Neighbor for your insight. Without elaborating on the saga of the ex’s, I would like to verify a few facts. Jeff’s choice to go to the City of Hope for treatment was not based on the persuasion powers of Gretchen — he was actually smarter than that! He decided to go to LA for treatment only after several agonizing days of phone calls & consultations with various doctors from UM, City of Hope & others only because they were the only doctors who offered him any glimmer of hope through treatment. He didn’t want his children or others to know he had been given only a 15% survival rate & his decision was to go with the only doctor who offered him any chance at all. He knew the hardship it would place on his family, but ultimately was grasping at the only straw offered. Suffice it to say that his children were his main priority & while making hospital preparations, he also updated his will & all financial assets to make sure his children & family were taken care of. The Gretchen fiasco has obviously mushroomed due to her attempt at fame, but her importance in his family’s life has not changed — I only met her once at his funeral & although I keep in touch with other ex’s, she’s definately not in their category or our future.
- Judy thanks for the insight. I am glad you were able to clarify some facts. I would have been interested to see what you would have thought of Gretchen if you got to know her. I am surpised that there is very little sympathy or defending when it comes to her. I know wife #2/#5…I am disappointed that Jeff gave up the love of his life for that whore. I stood by wife #2/#5 when Gretchen made such a scene at St.Mary’s. Wife #2/#5 loved him with all of her heart, she left so it would be easier on Jeff. I hope Jeff knew how much she cared and the pain that she felt then and her lonliness at times now. He had such a long history with her and GRETCHEN knew the facts but was not willing to leave it alone. Judy don’t know how well you know that wife, but thought you’d like to know
- I keep reading the responses here & telling myself not to respond, but I can’t help putting my 2 cents worth in, again! Wife #2/5 is the only one of his wives that has ever been a sister-in-law to me & encouraged family contact. I appreciate Tournament Drive neighbors input, and I am fully aware of her feelings — we will always keep in touch. As for Gretchen, Jeff was ready to end that relationship due to her excessive partying & mainly her “recreational drug” use. Jeff was no stranger to alcohol, but had told her it was either the drugs or him because he wouldn’t live with it. Somehow she managed to convince him, and I even found this unbelievable at the time not even knowing her, that she had given up her partying & drugs for him & had returned to her religious upbringing. How or why he wanted to believe this is beyond me, but obviously he was deceived. The “Malibu Barbie” image seemed to overrule all reason.
- I wish Jeff would have ended the relationship prior to the engagement bullshit. I think the show and Gretchen are making a mockery of him. I think it is hard to move on when the promo’s are running and GRETCHEN IS MAKING money off the show! She is a shrew! Someone should warn photoglu guy before it is too late!